Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Where has all the time gone?

Wow, I looked at the date of my last blog and didn't realize it had been that long since I had updated everyone about what is going on in my life. This has been quite a busy summer for the entire family for sure.
First of all, I guess you are interested in my Weight Watchers updates. After the last meeting in July, I stopped going. Mainly because there was so much going on for the rest of the summer that I didn't think I would be able to make the meetings regularly. My final weigh-in was 234.8 lbs. I have lost 35 lbs total since the end of January!!!! I feel so much better now and I am still trying to lose more. I want to get down to between 210 and 220 for my final weight. I haven't really weighed myself much since then but, when I had my colonoscopy last month (the dreaded age 50 test!!!), I weighed in at 235. Not bad considering it had been over a month since my last weigh-in. The results were good and I don't need another one for 5 years now. Just wait, you will all be there soon!!! Ha ha.
At the end of June, the boys and I went to a wedding for my nephew, Aaron. He is the oldest son of my sister-in-law, Lorna. Julia was the flower girl in the wedding. She was soo cute. She captured everyone's heart when she danced at the reception. It was real nice to see everyone again, we had not all been together since my mother-in-laws funeral in January.
In July, Anne and I went on a long motorcycle trip to Billings, Mt for a motorcycle rally. We took mostly back roads there and back. It was fun to go through small towns and see places that not many people see anymore. It was a great time and we met so many nice people there. It is nothing like what I heard Sturgis is like. Star Touring is a family orientated organization and promotes safe motorcycle riding for all ages. They sponsored a ride through the mountains this year. We got to go into the Rockies up to a place called Bear Tooth Pass. I have been in the mountains in a car and I can now tell you that that is nothing compared to traveling there on a motorcycle! I experienced the openness and vastness of God's creation so much more. Throughout the year, Star Touring also collects food and money to give to Feed The Children and helps promote them. One day of the rally, they had a ride from the convention center where we were all meeting to the fairgrounds in Billings. They had 2 semis full of boxes of food for the needy and over 420 motorcycles riding through town. It is so hard to adequately describe the feeling of being a part of that ride, having people standing by the street waving, people in cars waving as we passed by them. Once we got to the fairgrounds, we unloaded one of the semis and stacked everything in 2 lines. Then the people came to collect the food and other things we were handing out. We provided food and stuff for over 500 families that morning!!! It touched so many peoples lives and hearts that morning. Anne and I went to a town 40 miles west of Billings to look at some silver and the woman working there thanked us for what we had done the day before in Billings!!! We were shocked to say the least. Then, on the way home, we stopped at Little Big Horn (60 miles east)and someone there thanked us again!!!
When we were at the top of Bear Tooth Pass, I asked Anne to marry me. She said yes!!! We have finally set the date of the wedding for January 16, 2010. It will be held here in Omaha at the Vineyard Church. More to follow.
This past weekend, Anne, Shawn and I went to the LifeLight Music Festival in Sioux Falls, SD. It was Anne's first time and my second time. It was an amazing time, listening to so many different groups, all playing positive Christian music. Sunday night, the NewsBoys played to a crowd of over 100,000 people, all sitting (or standing) in an open field. It was amazing. We are definitely going back next year, hopefully with more people!!!
The week after we got back from the motorcycle rally, Anne and I went to her family reunion. What was surprising was that Shawn and Shay wanted to go with us!! Then, the day before we would leave, Shane called and wanted to come along too. My boys and Anne's girls (and the rest of her family) got along much, much better than we had expected (or even hoped for!!)
Shannon and Dave (and Julia) are doing quite well. Julia is growing up so quickly!! They went camping for the first time this summer, with Julia that is. The trip went very well. They are getting ready for the arrival of their second in early November. My mom will be coming to stay with them and help Shannon for a while after the baby is born.
Shawn is now in school at York College in York, Ne. He has this year and next year to finish up. I moved him and his stuff there in mid August He was pretty excited to be going and living on his own away from home. He is in an apartment with 3 other guys from the school and is doing pretty well.
Shane spent the month of July in the Mohave Desert with his Army Reserve unit, training. He has learned to drink his coffee black now, just like his grandma and grandpa, but not like dad. I still like mine with cream and sugar! His unit is preparing to go overseas early next year. He will be gone for a year or so.
Shay is finishing up some classes at school this semester and will hopefully have everything finished by Christmas. He still wants to go into the Army early next year, my fingers are crossed. He is enjoying himself learning to ride the motorcycle I bought and fixed up this summer. It is a 1981 Yamaha Virago 750. Not a real big bike and a good one to learn on initially. He really likes going out on rides with me, and with me and Anne sometimes. This summer, he talked me into letting him get a dog, so now we have 2 black labs running around the house!!! I didn't realize till later that I will be taking care of the two dogs while he and Shane are doing their Army tours. Oh well, the things we do for our kids :)
Last month, I lost my job at the hospital. I had mislabeled a patients specimen a second time in a year and the work rules state that twice in a year is grounds for dismissal. I am currently looking for work. I will keep you informed on my status. I am currently pursuing a few leads.
Now for a little about Anne. She is my age, born in February, divorced about 9 years. She has 3 children, 2 girls and a boy. Her children range in age from 27 (Jessica) to 23 (Mike) to 22 (Carol). Right now her two girls live with her and her son lives in Chicago. We are going to be living here in my house after the wedding, and her girls will be renting her house from us. She works for Ford Motor Credit Company. She has 2 brothers and families along with her mother all living here in the Omaha area. They are all happy for us. I hope you can all meet Anne soon.

No comments: